Red Line fire fighter plates will be available beginning December 1, 2017, to active paid or retired paid, volunteer, or widows/ widowers of fire fighters who died in the line of duty.
Volunteer firefighters will recieve a $23.00 exemption for one tag only. The exember does not extend to retirees.
- Registration: $15.00- $105.00 depending on the type of vehicle being registered
- A volunteer firefighter who is a resident of Alabama is entitled to a registration fee exemption for one vehicle as provided for in Code Section 40-12-244. The exemption extends only for the purchase of a Firefighter distinctive license plate. The exemption does not extend to retired volunteer firefighters.
- Additional fees:
- $.25 annually
- $5.00 when metal plate is issued
- The net proceeds of the $.25 will be distributed into a fund managed by the Alabama Joint Fire Council and shall be used for the purpose of expanding and maintaining the Alabama Firefighter Memorial located in Tuscaloosa.
- The net proceeds of the $5 shall be distributed to the Department of Revenue.
Widows/widowers must present a certificate from the Alabama Forestry Commission that has been signed by the chief of their fire department to the licensing official yearly to receive the license plate.